How Big do Beagles Get – Here is how big a beagle can get, factors that can affect the growth of a beagle, how long Beagles can live, factors that determine how long Beagles live? and Beagle characteristics and ratings.
Beagles are a medium-sized breed of dog that was primarily developed for hunting rabbits and other small animals. Beagles are smart, intelligent, friendly, and curious.
How Big do Beagles Get
Beagles can get as big as 16 inches (40 cm) for males and 13 inches (33 cm) for females. Male beagles can weigh up to 25 pounds (11.3 kg) and female beagles can weigh up to 23 pounds (10.4 kg).
Factors that influence how big do beagles get
Some beagle breeders will tell you that beagle is beagle no matter what, but that’s not true therefore let’s look at some factors that may influence your final beagle size.
Identification of a pure breed of beagle has been an issue to most beagle lovers but now is no longer an issue because beagles most beagle lovers can now easily identify a pure breed of beagle just with physical features.
However, you can’t expect a mixed breed of a beagle to grow as big as a pure breed or vice versa.
Breed greatly influences the size, some mixed breed tends to grow bigger than pure breeds.
Some mixed breed can get up to 15 – 16 inches while pure breed can only get from 14 to 15 inches for the male. So the type of breed matters a lot.
2. Breed varieties
Different bodies recognize or see beagles from different angles for example; American Kennel Club recognizes two varieties of beagle: the hounds less than 13 inches (33 cm), and the 15-inch for those between 13 and 15 inches (33 and 38 cm).
However, The Kennel Club (UK) and FCI affiliated clubs can only affirm a single type, with a height of between 13 and 16 inches (33 and 41 cm).
So since these two separate bodies documented different sizes, that is to say, their breed has a significant influence on how big do beagles get.
The environment you breed or train your beagle has a significant influence on the final size of your beagle, let me explain.
You can’t compare two beagles that were trained in a tropical region and a cold region.
Let’s say the same breed of dog but different locations, like a beagle owner in the United States and a beagle owner somewhere in Africa.
They must differ from each other even if it is the same breed of beagle, this may be because one region is hot while the other is cold.
This is an important factor because most beagle owners may think you can just feed your beagle with whatever they like, that’s not true.
Beagle growth and final size are somehow proportioned to the rate of feeding.
Most beagle owners don’t even give fruits to their beagle, maybe they don’t know that beagles need fruits after exercise or hunting as the case may be.
Giving your beagle fruits help in their development, check here for a list of safe fruits your beagle can eat.
Remember, some feeding patterns or types of food will greatly influence the final size of your beagle.
For example, you can’t compare the final size of two dogs from Mr. A and Mr. B.
Let’s assume Mr. A feeds his beagle with bread and water, then Mr. B feeds his beagle with complete diet menus, he even adds fruits to his beagle meal.
Let me ask you, do you think the final size of Mr. A beagle will be the same as the final size of Mr. B beagle?
Some Human food Beagles can eat
- Bread: Your beagle can eat bread with no raisins or spices.
- Honey: Your beagle can lick honey because fresh honey is packed with vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K.
- Fish: Beagles enjoy fish a lot, and fish contains good amino acids that will give your beagle a health boost. I recommend salmon and sardines for Beagles.
List of other human food your beagle can eat
How long do Beagle live
Beagles can live from 10 to 15 years.
Factors that determine how long Beagles live
- Feeding: proper feeding of your beagle with the right food will make them live longer. The right food will make your beagle stay healthy and fit.
- Health: The health of your beagle determine how long your beagle live, give your beagle a healthy life and it will live long (see a Veterinary Doctor)
- Environment: A clean environment allows your beagle to stay happy and live for a long time, a dirty environment will always get your beagle sick thereby reducing your beagle life span.
- Exercise: Beagles are active dogs and need exercise to stay fit, so take your beagle for a walk or exercise daily to help them stay fit. Un-exercise beagle can get too fat and develop unexpected heart diseases.
- Illness or diseases: you don’t expect a beagle with kidney disease to stay as long as a beagle without kidney disease, this is just an example of what I mean by this point. Therefore, beagles with chronic disease don’t live as long as beagles without chronic disease.
How much sleep should Beagles have per day
The average healthy beagle Should sleep for about 10 to 14 hours per 24-hour cycle. This includes night sleep, note that beagle puppies tend to sleep longer than an adult beagles, who will always want to be busy.
Factors that influence how long a beagle should sleep
- Environment: If your environment is hot or too noisy do you expect your beagle to sleep comfortably for long? The answer is definitely no. Beagles sleep better in a cool and less busy environment.
- Daily routine: this point is only valid for beagle owners who did not train their Beagle to stay at home alone. If you are always busy at home with a tight schedule, then your beagle can’t sleep for long because beagles always want to be around.
- Feeding: If you overfeed your beagle like four times per day then expect it to oversleep, feeding beagle twice per day is ideal to keep them active.
- Health: sick beagles sleep a lot, so please check with your Veterinary Doctor if your beagle sleep for over 6 hours during the daytime provided you did not overfeed your beagle. However, the health status of your beagle determines how long it sleeps since beagles are active dogs.
Here are some characters of a beagle with a proper rating. We made this rating after consulting some beagle owners, research, and personal experiences.
|Rating (1 – 5)
Questions to ask before adopting any Beagle
- What is the beagle energy level?
- What is the age of the beagle?
- Is the beagle friendly to other animals?
- Does the beagle have any known health issues?
- How does the beagle respond to visitors and children?
- What is the beagle personality like?
- Has the beagle bitten or hurt anyone before?
- Is the beagle home trained?
If your beagle is young, and you don’t want it to be aggressive click here.
Here are some mixed breeds of Beagle and their sizes
This is a breed developed by crossing Beagle and English Bulldog, and they can grow as tall as 11 to 17 Inches they weigh between 32 to 47 Pounds.
Beagador is the product of cross-breeding beagle and Labrador, they can weigh up to 43 pounds and grow tall up to 23 inches.
Meagle is a crossbreed of Beagle and Miniature Pinscher, they can weigh 26 pounds and grow as tall as 15 inches.
Beagleman is a large breed of dog developed primarily by crossing Beagle and Doberman Pinscher. Beagleman can grow up to 23 inches and weigh up to 57 pounds.
Poogle is a breed of dog from the crossing of Beagle and Poodle to they can weigh up to 28 pounds and grow up to 16 inches.
Borkie is a product of cross-breeding between Beagle and Yorkie, the can live up to 12 years. Borkie grows up to 15 inches and weigh up to 27 pounds.
Cheagle is smart and can live up to 13 years, this breed is a perfect cross-breeding between Beagle and Chihuahua, they are a lightweight breed of dog that can weigh 22 pounds and grow up to 15 inches tall.
I have answered the question of how big do Beagles get, you have also seen how big some mixed breed of beagles can get.
It is important to note that the growth, final size, greatly depends on the factors I listed above, so for you to get a big size Beagle like the one in the picture above, you must work hard on your Beagle.
Although Beagles are difficult to control or train at the earliest stages you can get your beagle to do what you want over time with constant exercises and practices.